Do many people have problems with opioids?
Yes. In recent years, an alarming number of opioid overdoses and deaths have occurred throughout the United States – which has led people to say we are experiencing an opioid crisis, or opioid epidemic. Orange County is no exception. As the OC Health Care Agency’s “Addressing the Opioid Crisis in Orange County, CA” report shows:
- Nearly 1.5 million opioid prescriptions were dispensed to residents here in 2018
- Opioid-related emergency department visits in the county more than tripled between 2005 and 2016
- 7 out of 10 drug related deaths in the county involve opioids
- More than half of opioid overdose deaths involve prescription opioids
- More than 80% of opioid overdose deaths are accidental